Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Love Christmas

When you ask me what my favorite Christmas movie is, I have a hard time answering you. I have so many favorites: A Christmas Story, White Christmas, It's A Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, and anything on Lifetime/Hallmark channel. But, Jason and I both LOVE Christmas Vacation. I see a little bit of myself in Clark Griswold. I want to have the perfect "Christmas" experience yet it never quite turns out the way I planned (isn't that what makes things fun?) As a "new" family, I have really enjoyed making our own traditions. Here are a few things that we love to do at Christmas time.

1.Elf on the Shelf- My mom gave this to us last year for Christmas. On Thanksgiving Day, we read the book to Jackson. (The story in a nutshell...Santa sends a elf to you around Thanksgiving. The elf watches you during the day and then at night, he goes back to the North Pole and reports to Santa what went on during the day. The kids can "plead their case" to the elf but they can never touch the elf, his magic will go away. Everyday, he appears in a new spot to "watch". On Christmas Eve, kids say goodye to their elf and when Santa comes that night, he takes the little elf with him.)



This year, Jackson didn't really get into it. He refered to the elf as "Bubby", however he refers to everyone as Bubby so we will really name him next year. I think this will be a really fun thing for our family to do.




2. Paint-A-Piece- I love Paint-A-Piece (for those not in Memphis, Paint-A-Piece is a cute little art studio. You choose the ceramic piece you want, paint it, then they fire it and glaze it for you) I am not artistic/creative at all...yet somehow when I come out of there I feel like Martha Stewart!


Jason and I had a fun day with Jackson. We took him right after Thanksgiving so that we could display whatever he painted the whole Christmas season. We decided to paint a plate for Santa's cookies. I think this is one of my favorite things that I own. I love that his sweet little handprint is on it. I think we will try to do this with all our kids. That way on Christmas Eve, they will all have their own plate with a "peace offering" (cookies) for Santa.

3. Christmas Village- I am so excited about this "new" tradition. When I was a little girl, my Grandmother would put this village up at her house every year. My sister and I would look forward to seeing her village every year. We would look at it for hours and make up stories about all the little people in the town. Well, this year she gave me her village. So far, Jackson hasn't really noticed it...Whew! I can't wait to see the joy that it brings all my kids.
I hope everyone enjoyed a look at what our family does during the Holidays. We have more traditions but these are some of our favorites. I can't wait to see what else our little family makes traditions in the years to come.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

awww, that is so precious! I love your traditions, and next year Jackson will notice EVERYTHING! He will love that his mommy makes the holidays so special, and you will love seeing the magic in his eyes! happy holidays!