Monday, November 9, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions-Brown Bag Turkey

(*I got this picture off of Google. I am not that good.)

One of my favorite bloggers, Kelly is asking people to post their favorite Thanksgiving traditions. Well, since I will have a 1 week old this year, I won't get to cook what I usually do...however I can blog about it. Two years ago, I took it upon myself to cook Thanksgiving dinner for my family. I have always been intimidated of turkey. Not sure what it was about it, but I just thought I couldn't handle it. Well, I found a super easy recipe on the internet and decided to give it a whirl....Brown bag turkey. Try it, you will LOVE it!

1.Preheat oven to 350. Remove the "bag of stuff" from the cavity of the bird. Rinse the turkey off (inside and out) and pat dry. Put whatever veggies you would like to inside the turkey-I used an onion, celery, and carrot. On the outside, I sprinkled poultry seasoning and salt and pepper all over and rubbed him down with vegetable oil.

2. Take a supermarket brown bag. Rub vegetable oil all over the bag-You want to saturate it. This is super messy, you may want someone to assist you because you will be up to your elbows (literally) in oil.

3. Take your prepared turkey and put him into the greased bag. Roll him up, staple it shut and place the turkey in your roasting pan.

4. Place roasting pan in oven making sure that the bag is not touching the heating element. Cook turkey 11 to 14 minutes per pound. (internal temp of 180 degrees in the thigh) Take out of the oven and allow to rest in the bag at least 15 minutes. Carve and enjoy!!!

It is such a foolproof recipe and absolutely delicious. I also make my macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. My mom makes the BEST sweet potato casserole (with pecans instead of marshmellows). Oh man...Now I am ready for Turkey day. Gobble, gobble!

8 comments:

Ben and Audrey said...

this sounds delish!!! my dad always deep fries a turkey for us, but one i get up the gumption to cook thanksgiving dinner myself, i'm definitely trying this!!

one question: what temperature do you cook the turkey at?

thanks for the recipe!! happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

Great idea Shannon. Thanks for the recipe - I am always looking for good, easy Turkey Recipes.

Also on another note - I really wanted to reply to your "Devastated" post, but didn't feel I have any good advice to give. I really liked Tiffany's response. I haven't really gotten into that stage of parenting yet and am scared of that chapter of parenthood. Just know that I am praying for you and hoping that you get some good strategies in place for sweet little Jackson!

Heather said...

Great idea Shannon. Thanks for the recipe - I am always looking for good, easy Turkey Recipes.

Also on another note - I really wanted to reply to your "Devastated" post, but didn't feel I have any good advice to give. I really liked Tiffany's response. I haven't really gotten into that stage of parenting yet and am scared of that chapter of parenthood. Just know that I am praying for you and hoping that you get some good strategies in place for sweet little Jackson!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.