Friday, May 7, 2010

2 DIY Projects + Bargain Buys= A Finished Room

This weekend while our neck of the woods was getting pounded with 12 inches of rain, I decided to finish some projects. I do not consider myself super crafty but I thought these trash-to-treasure projects needed to be posted-I am super happy with the way they turned out.
DIY Project #1:
I have been looking for something to do with this bulletin board from my big sister from my sorority. I was racking my brain for something different to do and then it hit me to paint it and put it in Jackson's room for his art from school and church....
...so I spray painted the frame navy blue to match the other artwork in his room....
...and I painted the scene using DecoArt paint (I mixed 2 colors of green to make to perfect shade for the grass) and then traced his name and painted it red...
I found several wood cutouts at Hobby Lobby. (I got a red truck, a dump truck, a tow truck, a blue car and a green tractor) I took my Gorilla Glue and glued the thumb tacks on the back of the wood cutouts. (I have never used Gorilla glue before-I used a little bit since I read that it expands 3 to 4 times the amount you start with and it held perfectly!)
We hung it in his room and it is ready to display his precious art.
DIY Project #2:
When my grandparents moved in with my parents, they gave us this bookshelf. It is super sturdy but needed some TLC. We sanded it and gave it a fresh new coat of paint with a crisp white....
...and made Jackson a little reading corner in his room.

We also have added a few finishing touches to his room with some bargain finds....
             
..the art above his bed came from Target and the car pillow came from a consignment sale for $5.
...We moved his  toy storage to this wall and added his new bulletin board....
...and we moved his pictures up a smidge and put in his new book shelf.

I am so happy with the way it turned out. I am already looking for more projects to try! 

Photobucket

9 comments:

mustard seeds said...

very cute!

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Your bullentin board is seriously adorable! I love that you put the little car cutouts on thumb tacks! What a great idea!

Holly said...

The bulletin board is adorable. Clever and cute for a boy! Thanks fro linking up to DIY Club
Holly
504main.com

Tumaini Rivera said...

uh, oh! I see an addiction happening. Seeing the fruits of your labor is soo rewarding. Nicely done!

If you're looking for more inspiration take a look at some of these AMAZING artists on my blog.

www.flippinfactory.wordpress.com
Tumaini Rivera
Mom and Artist

Its So Very Cheri said...

Hey Its Cheri from Its So Very Cheri
--thanks for posting to the DIY Club inc project.

I just wanted to come by and sign up to follow you and hope you will do the same.

Also in the guidelines we mention that you need to have a picture of the product you used with your project. Is Google hiding that picture or did you miss that in the instructions? Let me know.
We will leave it up but the only ones that will actually be entered into the cool give-a-way will be the ones that follow all the guidelines.

We have to keep the sponsors offering the give-a-ways happy. We are working on adding more cool sponsors so you have more products to choose from.

Cheri from the DIY Club inc,

Its So Very Cheri said...

Also--did you mean to link to its so very creative or the DIY Club inc?

Its So Very Creative closed last night but the DIY Club inc is open till next Thursday-your project fits the guidelines as far as using Gorilla Glue --we just need a picture of the product you used in the post and a link to the right party.

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri said...

Happy Mopthers Day

Did you get my message? If you can just add in that you are joining in on the DIY Club.

Stephanie Lynn said...

Hi Shannon! Your bulletin board is super cute! I love the road and little vehicles - too cute! Thanks so much for joining The DIY Club this month! We greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Paula said...

Cute projects! Jackson's room is adorable.