Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Jackson!

Three years ago today, this was the face that I stared into for hours at a time...
...and this is the face that I stare at now. Still precious if I do say so myself!

The 2 of us have done quite a bit of learning over the last 3 years. Here are some of the things that Jackson is/has been doing:

*Can count to 20 however we tend to get stuck at #16.
Jackson: "14, 15, 16, 16, 16..."
Mommy: "17."
Jackson: "18, 19, 20."
He is like a broken record. He gets stuck on 16- you have to give him a nudge to get him unstuck.

* Has no want to learn his letter/number recognition. I am still working on this.(anyone have suggestions on how to make this fun?)

*Can tell you absolutely every tool ever made. Knows the difference between Phillips head and flat head screwdrivers, can bring you any tool you ask for. He is in heaven at Home Depot (just like his Daddy) and loves to just look at all shop vacs, pressure washers, and lawn mowers (just like his Daddy) and if you point to them, can tell you what they are. Hey, maybe I should attach letters to his tools, then he would want to learn them.

*Knows 3 Bible verses and we are working on 1 more ("Be ye kind one to another...").

*Loves to read books...his very favorites he has memorized. They are: "The Great Cookie Thief", "Llama, Llama, Red Pajama", "Little Engine That Could", "Hop on Pop",  and anything with Lightning McQueen/Mater.

*Potty trained...nuff said!

*Loves to dance. He most definitely has some "unique" dance moves.

*He can drive...his John Deere Gator. He also can reverse.

*Can spell his first and last name. Tell you his whole name and also his address.

*Can say the Pledge of Allegiance.

*And most importantly...LOVES his Memphis Tigers. Any sports game that is on TV, he will say "Go Tigers!" He also has learned that "Kentucky is Yucky!"

Now, what have I learned in 3 years?

*I have learned to love unconditionally.

*I have learned how hard it is to see your child hurt.

*I have learned to keep my mouth shut when it comes to other children's behavior! As a Mommy, it hurts to have a grown up talk bad about your child...so I will bite my tongue. (My child can and probably will do the exact same behavior I would talk about!)

*I have learned how selfish I was (and still am...who am I kidding. Still working on this everyday!).

*The greatest thing in the world is hearing "I love you Mommy" or "Lets snuggle"!

*It is SO hard to punish your little one!

*Kids are expensive! Can I get an Amen?

*Trust your instinct. I can read books about parenting til I am blue in the face but in the end...I have to go with my gut!

*and finally...being a Mommy is the Greatest thing! I love both my boys more than I knew was possible!

Jackson,
These last 3 years have been an adventure. I have learned what works and what doesn't (sorry you were my guinea pig!). You are such a joy. You can always make me laugh with the silly faces you make and the things you are always saying wrong.
 I love you more than you will ever know. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you, little one!
Mommy
Photobucket

2 comments:

mustard seeds said...

Happy Birthday my sweet Jackson. I wonder what you will be like when you grow up. I pray for you and brother every day. You are one great kid! I am proud to be your Mimi.

Charlotte said...

love this post!!! so sweet!!!