Saturday, September 11, 2010

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

This recipe has been in our family for years. It is always the cake that I request for my birthday! I promise this will be one of the best things you will EVER eat!
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. soda
2 sticks oleo (yes I realize there are 2 sticks of butter in the cake. Just go with it....this is not diet cake!)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
i tsp. vanilla
Measure flour and sugar in a large bowl. Bring to a boil the cocoa butter, and water. Pour over the sugar mixture. Beat eggs. Add eggs, buttermilk, soda, salt, and vanilla. Mix and pour into cake pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Chocolate Fudge Icing!:
1 stick oleo (yes, that makes 3 total sticks of oleo/butter in the recipe. Again, just go with it)
1/3 cup of milk
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 box powered sugar
Heat until the oleo, milk and cocoa boil. Add sugar and 1tsp. vanilla. Pour over hot cake!!!
Oh my word! Make this cake. It is fabulous. It is yummy alone...
...or with a big scoop of ice cream. Give it a whirl for your next special occasion (or just make it just because...I mean, do you really need a special occasion for chocolate cake?)

4 comments:

Michelle Underwood said...

Oh my goodness!!! That looks great!

mustard seeds said...

It is the best cake, and just as easy as making a mix cake from a box. Thanks for bringing it on Monday. I wish I had a piece now with a big glass of milk.
Mom

Sew Many Ways... said...

This is now on my list of things to bake. Looks delicious. I love the canning jar mug too...so cute!
~Karen~

Katie said...

Yum! This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)