Sunday, December 4, 2011

St Jude Half Marathon

In January, I got the bright idea that I was going to run a half-marathon. Hilarious, right? I mean this was coming from the girl that could not run around the block one time. (I'm dead serious about this!) I started training in March and yesterday I did it-I completed the St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon! It wasn't pretty by any means but I set my mind to complete it and I did! (I am also the girl who has no belief in myself and quits something when things get tough...and this training has definitely been tough!)
Friday, my sister and I went to the expo to pick up our packets and bags. Oh my word, this is when reality set in. This was really happening.

Saturday morning, I woke up at 3 am unable to sleep. My stomach was in my throat, my hands were shaky. I laid in bed staring at the ceiling scared to death! My alarm went off, I got ready and before I knew it Shawn and her husband were outside my house to pick me up.
We parked and hung out in the Peabody Hotel lobby to stay warm. (This helped keep my mind off what was about to happen, have mentioned how nervous I was?) We did some people watching, met some of my friends from work, and actually got to hang out with Elvis and Priscilla. Uh-oh, time to head to our corrals...
We saw some friends at the start and got to visit with them....
...but we kept moving closer to the starting line the whole time we were talking. When I got close enough to read the sign I got a little choked up. It said "Get set...to run for their lives". It hit me then why I was running...for those sweet little kids of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. My eyes welled up but there was no time to cry, we were running. My first 6 miles, I was doing really well. I was running faster than I was used to training (rookie mistake!)

(video of running through St. Jude. Sorry it's so shake...I was running!)
 We ran by the river, through Beale St., by the pyramid and then through the St. Jude campus. I loved running through St. Jude. There was so much energy-so many people there cheering us on! I gave so many high fives my hand hurt. There was also parents outside holding pictures of their sick children (be still my heart). And get this, they were calling me their hero! I am anything but a hero. They are the heroes!
At mile 6, we took our Gu Chomps (little energy fruit chews) and I could feel myself hitting the wall. I had never taken Gu before and it did not settle well with my stomach. I got sick feeling and then realized that my entire body was in pain. I kept going but could feel myself slowing down. By mile 9, I was full out walking. I got another burst of energy around mile 11.5, and started running again. 
My sweet husband and boys were waiting for me near the finish line. I was SO looking forward to seeing this sweet face.
 When I saw them, I got a little emotional! It was so good to see them and my parents there cheering for me and supporting me on something that I have worked so hard for.
I did it. I FINISHED! My time was terrible, but I don't care. I did something that 6 months ago seemed to be impossible!
I am so thankful for my sister who pushed me when I thought that I would just sit on the curb and let Jason pick me up (oh yes, those words came out of my mouth). Ha!
My sweet husband Jason and me!
Jackson made me the best sign. He worked so hard on it! He even drew me complete with a ponytail. He also made my day, when we got home he kept telling me "Mommy, I am so proud of you!".

So there you go, I did it! What I learned through all of this:
1. That I am stronger than I think I am and can do way more than I give myself credit for!
2. That if I can do it...anyone can. 
3. And next time, I will train MUCH harder! (and yes, I just said next time. I'm not quite ready to hang up my running shoes!)

8 comments:

Ben and Emily said...

YAY!!! You're awesome and such a motivation!!! 6 months of training is all??? I think it'd take me 6 years! ;)

Congratulations!

skinnyrunner said...

congrats! isnt it an amazing feeling finishing and completing a big goal like that?!

ashley (redonk runner) said...

I ran st jude this weekend too!!! Huge congrats on your first half - nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment!!! Good luck tryin not to get addicted! :)

Corrie Anne said...

wow. congrats!! great race. also, you are going to be famous now that you were on sr. :) haha

Cassie said...

I ran the 5k at St. Jude this past weekend. That is so awesome that you ran the half! Me and my best friend, Lila, had signed up for the half but knew it wasn't going to happen so transferred down. Congrats girl!

runningtheclassroom said...

Found you on Skinnyrunner, CONGRATS!!!! There is no other feeling than finishing your first Half!!

Ashley Fisher :) said...

Great Job!!!! That's not an easy task at all!

Christin said...

I'm a little late on reading this, but congratulations! Such an accomplishment.