Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Few Recipes For Ya!

I adore Pinterest! I have found that I am a pinning fool and then terrible at actually making the recipes/ crafts/ decorating ideas/ etc that I pin. Well, that has changed. This week, I even went as far as to plan our entire week of meals on new Pinterest recipes. I am always looking for new recipes, so I thought I would share a few of our favorites.

(*Also, I am adding these to help my friends out. I recently had to take a recipe post down because people were coming from Pinterest and writing ugly comments. If you have something mean to say, please keep your comment to yourself! I am not very "thick-skinned". There, I feel better!)

A few weeks ago, our Sunday School class had a Soup and Salad Pot Luck. I made some melted ham and cheese sammies and meltaway cookies.
Recipe adapted from the one found HERE

-1 pan of dinner rolls. (I used Colonial dinner rolls because they were already in a foil pan that I could assemble them in and cook them.)
-1 pound of deli ham
-Swiss cheese
-1 stick of butter
-onion powder to taste
-1 Tbs poppy seeds
-2 Tbs brown sugar
-2 Tbs mustard
-1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire
*The original recipe calls for mayo. I omitted this because I was making it for a potluck and many people don't like mayo. I also left out the onion and used onion powder. I didn't have any dijon on had so I added some brown sugar to regular mustard and it was so good.

Melt the stick of butter. Once melted, add the mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire, and poppy seeds. Stir until completely mixed.

Slice the rolls lengthwise-try your best to keep the top of the rolls and the bottom in one piece. Take a few spoonfuls of the butter sauce and spread it on the bottom layer of the rolls. Top the rolls with ham and Swiss cheese. Once you are done with ham and cheese, replace the top layer of the rolls.
Pour the rest of the butter sauce on top of the rolls. Cover with foil, place in the refrigerator and let sit for 24 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes covered in foil, and 5 minutes with the foil removed.
These sammies are SO good. I think next time I would make it with a little less butter, they were a little too "buttery" for lack of a better word!
I also made these meltaway cookies for the pot luck. Recipe that I used found HERE
Ingredients for the cookies:
-1 cup butter
-3/4 cup corn starch
-3/4 cup powdered sugar
-1 cup flour
Cream the butter until fluffy. Slowly add corn starch and powdered sugar and blend well. Beat in flour until mixed thoroughly mixed.
Drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet. Flatten out the cookies with the bottom of a glass. (Dip the bottom of the glass in powdered sugar to prevent the cookies from sticking) Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack. Once completely cool, frost with homemade cream cheese icing!

Cream Cheese Icing ingredients:
-1 package cream cheese
-1 cup powered sugar
-1/2 tsp vanilla
(I also added 1 drop of red food coloring to make them pretty in pink!)
Mix all the ingredients together and ice liberally! These cookies are SO. STINKING. GOOD. With no eggs, they are also perfect for one with an egg allergy.



My last recipe was our favorite recipes from this week of pinterest recipes. Honey Garlic Pork Chops adapted from the recipe found HERE (The original recipe calls for 6 cloves of garlic. That was just a bit much for me...feel free to add more if you really like garlic! I also did not reduce the marinade and serve it on top. I am weird about marinades being made into sauce.)

Thin cut pork chops. I used boneless breakfast chops.
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce.

I marinaded the chops overnight. I cooked them on a grill pan but you could also bake them. They were SO good. The only thing I would do differently would be to use a little less soy sauce.

Macaroni and Cheese cups recipe adapted from the one found HERE (I did not use the American cheese that it called for. I also used less milk and added some chicken broth to the roux.)

1/2 lb elbow macaroni
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp skim milk
enough chicken stock to loosen up your roux. (eye-ball it)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
4 ounces Cheddar-jack cheese
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika

Preheat oven to 400. Boil the macaroni according to package directions. In a seperate pan, melt the butter. Whisk the flour into melted butter for a few minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Whisk in the milk and chicken stock. Add the cheeses (except the Parmigiano) and melt well. Pour the cheese over the cooked and drained macaroni. Off the heat add the egg yolk. Mix well. Spoon into muffin cups. Sprinkle with Parmigiano and Paprika. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Oh so good! I hope you enjoy these as much as my family did!

6 comments:

Christy Msal said...

Hi - I'm assuming you took down the Hawaii BBQ chicken recipe because I can't find it anymore - and it's one of our FAVORITES!!! is there anyway you could send it to me so I can have a copy of it?? my email address is 2lovebirdsonthemove at gmail dot com.

I'll be bookmarking your blog because this recipe sounds amazing too!!

hotpants™ said...

The meltaway cookies look delish!

Sooner Fan said...

I specifically logged onto your blog for the Hawaiian Chicken Recipe. Could you repost it for me? I promise NO ugly comments! That's just cruel anyways!

Anonymous said...

I'd love the Hawaiian Chicken recipe. Could you email it to me at mrsnross@sbcglobal.net? I PROMISE no ugly comments! That's mean!

Shawnee and Tys said...

Hi! Could you email me the Hawaiian Chicken recipe too? I came from pinterest, but I promise I'm a nice person :) I won't have anything mean to say! Just had this on the menu for dinner tonight :) shawneeg12@gmail.com

Punky N Munky said...

so sad that there are ugly people out there ruining a good thing :( I also came here after pinning the Hawaiian Chicken recipe too. I was planning on making it this week. It sounds delicious! I'd love for it to posted again!