Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Right of Passage

I feel like I am officially a Mom of a "school-ager" (as Jackson would say!). Last week, I chaperoned my first field trip. Jackson's class went to the Children's Museum of Memphis and I got to tag along and help out. The morning of the trip Jackson was super excited. He kept talking about it. (Hudson also thought that he was going to get to go.)
The Children's Museum of Memphis is awesome. It was around back in the dark ages (when I was a little girl) but it has changed so much. This was one of my favorite things when I was a girl. Grocery shopping and checking myself out. I loved watching what all the kids picked. Some chose all sweets and ice cream. Some chose sensible things. Jackson chose sensible things: laundry detergent, a can of tomatoes, a can of green beans and an orange. (He even asked if I would open the detergent to see what it smelled like so he could see if he wanted to buy it. I think he has seen me do that more than once.)
 He loved getting the receipt from his purchase.
 We wrote notes to each other and sent them through bank tubes. (Oh my word...I love that little hand.)
 He flew an airplane and I was his air-traffic controller.
 His class "fished" in the Mississippi River.
He climbed the rock wall. I think he may have a future as Spiderman, that boy shot up that rock wall with no problem.
 Of course, when he spotted the Wookie from Star Wars he HAD to have his picture made with him!
The highlight of the trip was dancing with his friends. They got a kick out of watching themselves on TV. Jackson also may have a future as a break dancer. (We are keeping our options open between Spiderman and a break dancer!)

I had the best day hanging out with my little buddy!

2 comments:

emily said...

This has to be the coolest field trip ever. I wish they had this when I was a kid!!

Kudos to Jackson for writing his name so well!!

Ashley Fisher :) said...

I LOVED that place when I was a kid! So strange our kids are all getting so big! They need to slow down!